Disclaimer

Rep. Daus is not responsible for any of the comments posted on this blog. Let's keep the comments clean and refrain from bashing. Thanks!

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Residency for St. Louis Firefighters

Today in the local Government Committee we heard Rep. St Onge's bill regarding the residency requirement for St. Louis Firefighters and related agencies. The proponents of the bill focused most of there testimony on the struggling school district and how they are not able to provide their children with a quality education and therefore must leave the city limits.

I understand the argument but I don't agree with it. City employees have a residency requirement. It is a condition of employment under the City Charter. Until the Citizens of St. Louis vote to change the charter requiring residency, I support the measure.

When I asked how many times the firefighters had taken their concerns to neighborhood groups to build support for their issue I was told "never". When I suggested that this should be resolved on a local level and not at the state level (by people who sometimes live over 5 hours from St. Louis) I was told that firefighters with children can no longer wait. For more on the Bill go to the following link: http://www.house.mo.gov/bills071/bills/hb325.htm

No comments: